Wednesday, April 29, 2009

not the ending i was expecting

I have finished reading The Handmaid’s Tale this past week and I have to say I’m a bit unhappy with the ending. Towards the end of the book, a new Ofglen was introduced. I thought she was incredibly weird compared to the previous Ofglen. When I found out that Ofglen had hanged herself, I was sad that she caused her own death. I’m pretty sure I would’ve been sadder if she was murdered. Either way, Ofglen’s death was not something I anticipated. In the last chapter of the book, Offred was taken away into a van by the Eyes. Before being taken away, Nick told Offred that the two men were actually with Mayday, but Offred found that difficult to believe because the Eyes surely would know about Mayday. If I was in Offred’s position, I would’ve been hesitant as well just like her. However, I would not have gotten into the van. The book ends with Historical Notes on The Handmaid’s Tale. Here we find out that the Republic of Gilead no longer exists and the fate of Offred was never discovered. I thought this ending was terrible because it was like a cliffhanger. I’m pretty sure everybody who has read this book was very into it towards the end, but became upset after the sudden ending. Offred’s fate after going into the van should’ve been clarified.

No comments:

Post a Comment