Tuesday, April 21, 2009

new technique doesnt work for me

In class today we did this new technique where we read out loud and then just interrupt ourselves with our thoughts. The process seems like a big hassle; it’s time-consuming as we interrupt ourselves and it’s also difficult to maintain my place on the page as I let my thoughts wander. Although this may be an effective reading technique for some people, it does not work for me. As I continue to read The Handmaid’s Tale, it seems that Offred and the Commander are quite enjoying their meetings together. The Commander is beginning to drink and the two continue to play Scrabble. Sometimes, the Commander even drinks as he plays, which causes him to get a little silly. If I was Offred in that certain situation, I would be a little hesitant in the presence of the Commander. Being under the influence of alcohol, some words or actions may be expressed that can possibly ill-affect Offred, such as being struck as the Commander fails to win at Scrabble.

No comments:

Post a Comment